The RISE Male Forum and RISE Female Forum are offered during the Fall and Spring semesters.
The male and female forums reflect the fact that college students face challenges in different ways. During the program, participating students meet weekly for two hours. They will enjoy a meal together, followed by a presentation provided by exciting and engaged guest facilitators that alternate throughout the semester.
Guest speakers also lead small and large group discussions that address the topic of the week. Previous speakers for the RISE Forums have discussed the following topics:
- Dr. Kathy Humphrey, Vice Provost and Dean of Students
- Dating Dilemmas for Females of Color in College
- Kenyon Bonner, Associate Dean of Student Affairs
- Do I Wear a Mask? How the Image that Men of Color in College Create for Themselves can Help or Harm them
- Linda Williams-Moore, Director of Cross-Cultural and Leadership Development
- Body Image —Perception Versus Reality
- Dr. John Wilds, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Community Relations
- The College Life Cycle, Where am I versus Where I am Going
- Alaine Allen, Director of the Pitt Engineering Career Access Program
- A Discussion on Racial Microaggressions Experienced by Women of Color in College
Forum participants will also be asked to adhere to the following requirements:
- Provide current Act 33/34, and FBI clearances;
- Attend all group sessions during the semester they are enrolled;
- Participate in a mentoring program (one hour per week) with students from Pittsburgh Sci-Tech (males) or Pittsburgh University Prep (females).